Saturday 24 August 2013

a bit of bavaria

Hallo!

Having recently returned from a break in the Bavarian capital of Munich, I have here a few snapshots of life in and around the city - or at least I thought I did, until I noticed I was being architecturally driven! Enjoy:
The roof structure for the Olympic Stadium stretches out over the surrounding open spaces like a tent. This is appealing as it encourages events to take place under the partially-sheltered canopy. While I was there, a man started performing on what I can only call a hybrid between a unicycle and stilts


Looking up within the courtyard at part of the New Town Hall, built in the late 19th Century in a Gothic Revival style

This glazed wall is located at one of the many S-bahn stations in the city

Outdoor seating in courtyards - always a great use of public space

What I noticed most of all is how the citizens embraced their culture; it was not uncommon to see locals drinking in biergartens at lunchtime and walking around in their traditional Bavarian dress, of dirndl and lederhosen.

During my short stay I caught a glimpse of what is to be found in this city where tradition compliments modernity. There is always more to be explored...!

No comments:

Post a Comment