Saturday 23 August 2014

travel sick?

Image courtesy of Lindsay Oldham


There is a point in the story where you do get fed up. The first enthusiastic dive into the pool of a new culture is eventually met with a certain emptiness. Is this what travel sickness is?

I admit, I start feeling this way whenever I travel at points. Big questions like "who am I?" and "what am I doing here?" start to pop up in my head in the few moments I am left alone, and I feel somewhat confused at my mind for what it's asking of me.

"I'd just like to cleanse my face in peace," I retort. To my Conscience.

Anyway, I know what I'm doing here, I'm learning. I don't need my Conscience to give me a hard time. Someone once said that, you should: "Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it."

So, Conscience, you should really know better, shouldn't you?

The fact if the matter is, I was actually really quite tired from these few days. Tired of tagine. Tired of being pursued. Some people have a lot of strength, despite. I really admire those people. But hunger and harassment make for an unhappy traveller in myself, and I was quite happy to leave for Fes.

Don't get me wrong, I would come back again - I'd be really excited to - but a strong mentality is needed. Thank goodness I had my friend Lindz to bring me back around!

No comments:

Post a Comment